Tuesday, December 4, 2007

First Post - Ratios From The Recent Past

This blog is devoted to my occasional sort-throughs of Canadian change to see how much American coinage is found therein. I do so by buying a box or so of coins from a chartered bank, paper-rolled so as to sift out all-new rolls. (Those are encased in plastic.) I then sort through them to find how many American coins of the same denomination there are. In addition, I keep tabs on any oddities and rarities.

I started the sift-throughs before the C$ reached parity, although most of them were made after parity was reached. The ones I have done so far give a good indication of what the coinage state was at the time that doubt existed about the values crossing. Here's what I found:

Out of 2500 pennies, 157 (6.28%) were American.

Out of 2000 nickels, 54 (2.7%) were American.

Out of 2500 dimes, none were American! Given that the C$ was already above par at the time I got them, this finding was a surprise. Back when the C$ was 80-90 cents US, I was used to seeing an American dime in my pocket change from time to time.

Out of 2000 quarters, only one was American, and it was a commemorative quarter that resembled the various Canadian ones. I found no regular Eagle quarters.


The box of 2,500 pennies was obtained on Friday, September 28th, 2007. The box of 2,000 nickels was gotten on Monday, October 1st of the same year. The dimes were gotten on or around October 9th, and the quarters were obtained on Monday, October 15th. All of them were gotten through the good offices of the Royal Bank in Toronto, Yonge and Cranbrooke branch.

No comments: